Friday, May 29, 2009

ABAA Challenge ~ Shells

Linda and Rosie's Awfully Big Art Adventure monthly challenge is "Shells" and here is my challenge entry. Different, way different for me isn't it? Actually now that I look at the close up as I type this, I don't see many shells either, but there is at least 5 in there.

I was inspired by the artwork of Ruth Rae featured in the Winter issue of Sew Somerset. She uses transparency film to make little pockets on her fiber art, and I noticed her piece of art on the front page had a shell in it, so I went from there. Sometimes it's fun to go outside your box.
I made it on a piece of chenille, and old bedspread with a fringe I found at the thrift shop last year for $3. I used quilt batting, some tuile and the purple and green is a baby wipe which I had used when painting a project. There is piece of a doily in there somewhere and some battenburg lace which had been tea died, and a bit of music sheet I printed on fabric from my bookmarks.
It is all stitched on the machine, just some crazy random stitching, then I stitched the "Forever" by hand. I thought the vintage sheet music, the charm and the shells inside a sealed pocket could be there "forever" as a reminder of a wonderful time spent at the shore :) In days gone by of course.

In the mail today a beautiful Arch ATC from my friend Patty. We recently did a trade, and she sent me some wonderful bits and pieces too as you can see, but this ATC is just perfection, you should see it in person, just beautiful. Thank you so much Patty, I have always been inspired by your work and I finally have a piece of it in my hand :)

I hope you all have a great weekend, thanks for visiting and I hope to visit soon :)
Lynn