Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Mixed Media Journals


 I recently took yet another workshop even though I keep telling myself not to, I just love to see how other artists work, and I really enjoyed Roben Marie's Art Journal Conversion class. Her videos show her working step by step and are a lot of fun. I highly recommend this workshop. Even if you are already into Mixed Media you can always learn something.
I have not played with any mixed media since the beginning of the year, and Roben really inspired me. Even my own style comes through a lot on these two layouts. I was trying to make them look like her pages, which I fell in love with at first site, then I thought, just go on and make it your own Lynn, you are always going on about being yourself, so do it :)



 So, this is what my end results were, I have two journals finished, the rest of the pages I made are still in the works. My journals I machine stitched together rather than punching holes and hand stitching, and I added some inky papers to the inside too.

I can't tell you how many layers I have here, I lost count. Can't tell you how it got to this either because that is all in the workshop, but what I did use that is different is my charcoal, I love charcoal for shading and the white charcoal for a highlight.



One of the hardest parts for me is journalling on the cover. I absolutely do not like to see my own writing and I can never think of anything to write about when the time comes to it.

Here is the front of my second journal. I was not liking it until I changed it up a bit today and made flowers from the circles I have here. Now I love it :)



 Below is a close up of the circles. Lot's of texture. Always love me some texture :)




 These journal covers are made on Mixed Media paper. I am loving the Strathmore mixed media journal. A bit pricey but if you use your coupon at Michaels, they are a great deal. I have tried another brand but the paper just seemed a bit flimsy to me.



So this is what I have been doing the last week among many other things.
 It has been so hot so I set up a huge table in the basement where I can make a mess and just walk away and leave it. I can't stand how hot it get's in my office/studio upstairs even with the a/c on.

 I am such a hotty these days, it's all part of being in your fifties, such fun isn't it?

Can you believe we are almost half way through June?
This is favourite month of the year , it's the month we were married 32 years ago, and the month our child was born, and I am feeling rather old because she will be 28 years old in another week :) What a beautiful, mature young woman she is now too, we are so very proud of her.

I hope you are enjoying your summer so far.

Until next time....
Love to you