Thursday, April 9, 2009

Theme Thursday ~ Sewing ~ Fabric ATC

A Stich In Time fabric ATC for Theme Thursday challenge.



This weeks challenge at Theme Thursday is "Sewing".
I never know when I go to my room to work on a challenge what will happen. Last time I did a sewing theme for a challenge I had a hard time, so I thought oh no, here I go again, and yes, I fiddled with bits of paper and stamps and nothing was coming to me, so as I started looking for some lace I picked up this vintage table cloth in my stash that is for cutting and off I went, ending up with my first fabric ATC.
The embroidery was probably done by someones grandmother, but her table cloth was stained and ripped so I have been recycling it. All I did was back stitch the words, sew some buttons on and added the little charm. A little different for me but this is where my muse took me today.

I thought I would share with those of you who like vintage linens two other items I made from this table cloth which I picked up on a shopping binge at the local charity thrift shop. A year ago I was selling items on Etsy, both handmade and vintage linens, but recently closed my shop to focus more on mixed media and learn all I could about it.

This cottagey style pillow cover was fun to make with this vintage table cloth....


and so was this tussie mussie. That's a vintage earring you can see on the front too.

Doilies are great to pick up at the thrift shops, I get mine for 25c each, and if they are stained or torn that's fine , I just cut them up anyway. You can stick them in some tea and dye them too if they are not the right color, or paint over them. If you use them in mixed media work, on a canvas for example, the gel medium we use for our collages sticks them soooooo well.

Before I go, I would just like to thank all my blog visitors so much for your encouragement through lovely comments, I appreciate each and every comment :) Just incase I am not back I would also like to wish a Happy Easter to those of you who celebrate.