Thursday, August 21, 2008

Her Creative Spirit

Where do I start? My creative spirit is moving so rapidly in a new direction and I felt it was time to start a new blog to express how I feel about exploring the world of Mixed Media and Altered Art. Ohhh... and there are so many other things I want to explore , but right now I am taking my time and taking one day at a time.
I am very eclectic, I love so many different "styles" of anything from home decor to art, and am always willing to try something new. So I hope you will join me on my journey of self discovery through my creative spirit.

I thought I would start by showing my first Altered Tin. The theme is faeries because this was a gift for a Fairy swap I recently took part in. I can share it now because my partner has opened her gifts :) I really enjoyed making this tin and hope to do many more in the future. I seem to be stuck on children with butterfly wings at the moment, depicting the look of a butterfly fairy.
I am so happy with how this turned out, which is almost unusual for me to like something I have made myself so much. Here is the front of the tin. Isn't this little butterfly fairy just the sweetest thing?

I have lot's of vintage clip art of children, and this little girl I altered slightly, making her dress green, then added some pretty butterfly wings and a little crown.
Inside I placed a really sweet fairy poem on the left side. Click on the picture to view full size and you can read the poem. On the deeper side I used a baby, nestled in the forest on a soft bed of moss.

I took the photo's outside in one of my plant pots, I love how the tin is surrounded by nature.

I also covered a journal for my swap partner. I used a soft paper by Anna Griffin, fairy clip art and embellished with a tiny pink doily and a vintage glass button. Then I added a beautiful ribbon too it. The inside is finished off with a nice vintage style paper too.

This is more the pretty side of me, I love pretty too, and had such fun making this for Kimberly. She says she would like to use it as a gardening journal which pleases me so much :)

I always like to credit artists who make a difference in what I create, so here goes. On the fairy tin I used papers from the talented Gail Schmidt. You can find them and soooooo much more at her online shop Shabby Cottage Studio. You will see me using a lot of her digital art work, I just love it. The paper I used on the front has also been used in a covered journal I recently made and I have ordered more too :)

The butterfly wings were digitally altered by my friend Pam. You can find her collage sheets and more on Etsy at "From The Craft Room". I also use a lot of Pam's digital work.

I know, I don't even have a nice blog banner yet, but I wanted to start tonight, the header I can work on another time.