Thursday, August 20, 2009

Mixed Media Portrait

My first mixed media portrait on an 8x10 wood canvas.
The girls face and torso has been distressed with molding paste and some sanding, her hair is also textured with the molding paste. This is the first time I have used it and I just know I will be using it a lot now, I love, love, love it.
My background is first textured with paint and gel medium, and I used my trusty heat gun to dry and bubble it a bit, then I mixed paint with gel medium again (love that stuff) and stamped with those big foam stamps and an old thread bobbin.


The Goddess and the Poet class is over now but I have to tell you it has been an amazing 6 weeks, I have thoroughly enjoyed it, and if it interests you at all you can now register for the next class which starts September 1st.

A number of you have asked about the type of heat gun I use. It was a freebie from my husband who hasn't used it in 23 years. He bought it back then when we were stripping paint from baseboards in an old house we were renovating. Yep we used to do all that work. What were we thinking?
It is a Black and Decker heat and strip and it get's very hot, so I just have to be very careful, but it's perfect as I am impatient for things to dry too, I just want to get on with it while I am in the mood :)

Have a great weekend, I will be back on Monday with a winner to my giveaway...